Roll Call! - 2008 - Part 2

Posted: 8/24/2008 1:01:53 PM
amirdekel

I've just completed building my Paia Theremax some days ago, and stepped into the scary, unknown, world of playing the theremin... it's quite strange to try to play it, and I still haven't got any resources for studying the technics. Any advice?
Posted: 8/24/2008 3:33:32 PM
omhoge

Welcome amirdekel, though it's not your first post I don't think I've said welcome to ThereminWorld! yet.

The Lydia Kavina/Clara Rockmore video from Moog Music is great one to start with and see two different approaches to playing the Theremin, try also the Arial Fingering and Volume Hand threads in the forums, a lot of different approaches are voiced in there. Use the search and a couple trys should get you something interesting.

Most of all, if there are any other theremin players near or passing through where you are, see them play, listen, talk on and on about the theremin, hang out if possible. Till then watch theremin videos where the music sounds good to you, pick a fun play-a-long song to start out with and learn it. But most of all right now, don't worry and just play every day.

Just keep play'n
Posted: 8/24/2008 6:52:05 PM
teslatheremin

Welcome amirdekel!
I am a PAIA ThereMax owner as well. Check out the great modifications available at the PAIA ThereMax page--- they can really change the potential sound of the T-Max.
Plus, PAIA offers great a MIDI kit than can let one control MIDI devices gesticularly. Also, use the search box here at ThereminWorld to see excellent advise,(especially by Kevin Kissinger),and comments about Mods to the T-Max.
I hope that you will share your experiences with the T-Max, here at Theremin World!

Good Luck!

teslaatheremin
Posted: 9/20/2008 11:29:22 PM
joyvaman

Greetings, all... I'm so glad to have stumbled upon this community, and I'd like to introduce myself to y'all.

My name is Kevin, and I am a thereminist. I'm also an elementary school teacher, a tournament Scrabble player (as is my wonderful wife), a proud father of two teenagers, an aspiring CGI artist, and I've been playing music since I was about 2 or 3.

I got my theremin (a Moog Etherwave) in the summer of '06, a little over two years ago. I followed a path with which some theremin players may be familiar. For at least the first year, most of my theremaniacal ramblings sounded like something right out of a 1950s B movie (Spellbound, anyone?). However, I eventually learned how to control my space in a way that sounds like music to people other than myself.

While I have no illusions of ever reaching a Rockmoresque level of mastery, I do feel I've made the transition from being "a guy who owns a theremin" to being a bona fide thereminist, albeit one who still has a ways to go.

I look forward to getting to know many of you (I see that Thomas Grillo of YouTube fame is a member of this forum -- groovy!), to share my sounds with you, and most importantly, to learn from you and to become a better player of this unique instrument.
Posted: 9/21/2008 4:22:34 AM
GordonC

It sounds like music to me. :-)

I'm enjoying the stuff on your myspace site.

Mmmm. Silver-tongued shnake!
Posted: 9/21/2008 4:10:42 PM
thelastpariah

Hello Everyone. Just thought I'd check in and give a little info about myself. My name is Will. I'm 24 and I've been playing since about April of 2007. I work at The American Museum Of Radio and Electricity in Bellingham, Washington. At the museum I am fortunate enough to be in the constant presence of an RCA Theremin and a Moog Etherwave Standard. I am also the proud owner of an Etherwave Pro Ltd(serial number 472). This site and forum is such a great resource. Although I don't participate nearly as much as I should, I do find everything that is discussed very enriching. And if you're ever up in Northwest Washington State, come try the RCA, its quite an experience :)
Posted: 9/22/2008 6:40:58 PM
omhoge

Thank you so much for joining ThereminWorld thelastpariah, and for all your work preserving the Theremin and the RCA out there.
Posted: 10/16/2008 12:26:18 PM
Bish

Thought I'd poke my head above the ramparts and say "Hi" ...

I signed up after lurking for a while... and there is little doubt that I'll be getting myself the Moog Etherwave in the not too distant future. I think I just wanted to apportion the blame to you all :) It's not so much the money... it's the time!

Many years ago I was interested in ambient, soundscape, looping and electronic/experimental music of any kind. Home-made electronic noise generators, synths, tape loops and rudimentary keyboards kept me entertained for hours. I've fond memories of building complex loops with my old Revox and WEM Copicat (ten foot loops hooked up to mic stands or door handles) ... I first got my hands on a real synth when they lugged in the Moog (3C, I think) to college for a demo.... had to be around '69 I guess. The strange thing is that I was always fascinated by the Theremin, but never made nor owned one ... go figure.

That was an age of innocence when the experimental side flourished. Before you could say career, kids, mortgage or MIDI, the eighties were upon us and there seemed no time for the "mad scientist" approach in the digital age ... or maybe it was me :(

My reintroduction to less formula-driven music came, surprisingly, with my conversion from PC to Mac ... I rediscovered multi-track recording (as opposed to sequencing) with GarageBand. Armed with a decent mic and the plethora of on-board effects (not to mention a vast existing library of concrete sounds primarily for foley applications) things started to become enjoyable once more ...

... then I started to think about the Theremin again ...

I've got lots of questions... most have already been answered by trawling through the postings on this site (great community by the way)... so maybe I'll venture off to the appropriate forum and bug you all there :)

Cheers
Bish
(ex-pat Londoner, living in New York)
Posted: 10/16/2008 6:57:25 PM
omhoge

Welcome to ThereminWorld Bish!
Thanks for signing up and coming out into the aether.
Besides being at home in almost any musical style, the Theremin has away of calling people to itself and back into music.

You're more than welcome to blame us for helping get you hook on the theremin, that's why we're all here.
I'm so glad you've been able to find helpful information here, there is a ton of good stuff and we do our best to keep it all accesable.

Hope you get your theremin very, very soon, and please keep us posted. And of course if there's any question you couldn't find answers to feel free to post, there's an astounding amount of experience chiming in at all differnt times here.

happy theremin playing!
Posted: 10/16/2008 11:45:35 PM
hypergolic

Wow...what a ride!!

I started driving my family slowly crazy starting three years ago by my incessant practice. I learned about those magical muffs called headphones, and domestic tranquility returned. No more do the kids cry when I play, thinking the aliens from Sigma Draconis 4 are coming.....

I learned about the headaches, near insanity, and that unique delusional state brought on by exposure to solder fumes as I labored on my vacuum tube theremin. PEOPLE ARE SICK OF HEARING ME TALK ABOUT GABBY!!!....oops, sorry, there I go again.

But, in the course of it all, I've encountered (and met a few) some REALLY GRAND folks...Lydia, Kevin, Carolina, Greg, Gordo, Uncle, Andy, Rudd, Purple...forgive me if I've left you out...there are so many.

Now I don't run people off, and my 10 year old son tells me that Daddy plays pretty music, and that makes it all worth it.

Affectionately yours

Philip Neidlinger
Richmond Hill, GA

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.