Moog Theremin T-Shirts

Sad news: Barbara Buchholz passed away

Barbara Buchholz

I am very sorry to bring you the very sad news: Tonight our dear friend Barbara Buchholz passed away.

Most of us knew her as a wonderful musician, a person who united and connected people. For many of us she also was a close friend. She gave all her heart and her musical talent to the theremin.

For many years that she played and promoted the theremin, it helped her in her brave battle with the cancer, which she sadly lost today.

Barbara will stay in our memories as a brilliant artist, extraordinary theremin enthusiast, big personality and the great soul.

Lydia Kavina

15 Comments

Amethyste
Amethyste 4/10/2012 11:46 AM
OMG!!! :( I am so sad...
omhoge
omhoge 4/10/2012 12:32 PM
Blessings on her, and much gratitude for her music and dedication to a unique musical vision.

I'm sure all of us extend our condolences to her family and friends, this is a major loss for the theremin community.
Jason
Jason 4/10/2012 2:18 PM
This is a huge loss for the theremin community. Barbara was as much a visual performance artist as she was a musician, and a master of both. To watch her perform was a real treat. I will miss her dearly.
kkissinger
kkissinger 4/10/2012 2:36 PM
Barbara Buchholz brought a unique voice to the theremin and her passing is, indeed, a great loss. Few people handle the theremin's tricky tenor range as well as Barbara -- in fact, she seemed to revel with the muted brass tone in that register.

May her friends and loved-ones find peace during this time.
Thomas Grillo
Thomas Grillo 4/10/2012 2:39 PM
All my thoughts, prayers, and condolences go out to Barbara's family and the community. She will be missed.
DOMINIK
DOMINIK 4/10/2012 4:19 PM
Condolences to her family and friends. I remember Barbara as a kind person with a strong character and she will stay in my mind.
Dominik
cantelow
cantelow 4/10/2012 7:18 PM
What very sad news. All my thoughts to Barbara, and well wishes to family and friends. The world is a lesser place without knowing Barbara is there. She was an inspiration.
Southernone
Southernone 4/10/2012 7:25 PM
A very sad loss. Barbara was a wonderful, imaginative musician and an extraordinarily talented Thereminist. She will be dearly missed.
Mike Adams
Arno_C
Arno_C 4/10/2012 7:27 PM
The message of her death has made me so sad that I can't find the proper words for it. 2009 I had a workshop with her in Posada, Sardinia, and I owe her so much. She was a very kind and encouraging teacher and never lost her patience with me.
During the morning lessons I was her only student. I'll never forget her, and she will forever have a place in my heart.
Arno
LindaL
LindaL 4/10/2012 7:51 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this sad news. All of my thoughts and prayers go out to Barbara's family and friends. She was such a wonderful and talented player, and a tremendously strong presence in the theremin community. She will be missed! Linda Lafferty
coalport
coalport 4/10/2012 11:55 PM
How wonderful it is that we have the many fine videos and recordings of Barbara's highly creative, original and innovative work with the theremin. We will always remember her, and her extraordinary contribution to the instrument she loved, through the music she has left us.
Amethyste
Amethyste 4/11/2012 12:11 AM
Coalport, I am touched by the words you wrote... THank you.
Trotz
Trotz 4/11/2012 12:26 AM
She will be greatly missed :'(

http:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh74r2QSryo
omhoge
omhoge 4/12/2012 10:24 AM
This is a huge loss. Armen Ra asked I post this for him.
""
So very sorry to hear this. I had the pleasure of meeting her in Asheville. She was very sweet smart and supportive.She will always be held in high esteem in the Theremin and musical community, and to the many many people she touched with her music and great theatrical presentations. Rest in Peace dear one.
""
ms_hypnotique
ms_hypnotique 4/21/2012 12:10 PM
So sad! Barbara was a true original, her composition, performance and theremin style was incomparable. I'm glad I got to see her play at the Hands Off! festival.

Sorry, you must be logged in to leave a comment. Please log in or register for an account.